Check this page often for reading assignments, lecture overheads, reminders, etc.
Week 6: 10/9 - 10/13
- Textbook reading assignment: Chapter 10 (sections 1-6)
- Chapter 4 homework is posted in MasteringChemistry and is due Thursday by midnight.
- Chapter 4 and 20 Practice Problems: #4.7, 4.15, 4.23, 4.27, 4.37, 4.39, 4.51, 4.55, 4.61, 4.69, 4.71, 4.73, 4.79, 4.83, 4.87, 4.99, 4.109, 20.15, 20.17, 20.23, 20.25
- Section A: Monday overheads - Wednesday overheads
- Section B: Monday overheads; Wednesday overheads
- Colby 2010 alumni presenting Chemistry seminar on Friday, 10/13 at 11AM in Davis 301. They are also available for Q&A in the second floor conference room of Davis Connects at 4 PM.
Week 5: 10/2 - 10/6
Week 4: 9/25 - 9/29
- Textbook reading assignment: Chapter 4 (all sections)
- The chapter 3 homework assignment is posted on MasteringChemistry and is due Sunday, 10/1, by 11:59 PM.
- Your first midterm examination is on Tuesday, October 3rd, at 5 PM. Please see the Examinations page for more details.
- A Review Session for the exam will be held Sunday, October 1st, at 6 PM in Keyes 105.
- Section A: Chapter 4 overheads
- Section B: Monday overheads, Friday overheads
Week 3: 9/18 - 9/22
- Textbook reading assignment: Chapter 3 (all sections)
- Your second MasteringChemistry assignment is posted and is due Thursday, 9/21, by 11:59 PM.
- Getting started instructions for Learning Catalytics: Learning Catalytics Instructions.pdf
- Please bring an internet connected device (smart phone, tablet, or laptop) to class starting on Wednesday.
- Section A: Chapter 3 overheads
- Section B: Monday overheads; Wednesday overheads; Friday overheads
- Chapter 3 Practice Problems: #3.5, 3.13, 3.15, 3.21, 3.25, 3.37, 3.39, 3.53, 3.57, 3.59, 3.61, 3.69, 3.75, 3.77, 3,85, 3.91, 3.103
Week 2: 9/11 - 9/15
- Textbook reading assignment: Chapter 2 (all sections)
- Laboratory will start this week!
- Please don't forget to get signed in with MasteringChemistry, our online homework system.
- For those of you who purchased a version of MasteringChemistry access without the eText, you don't need the eText, but you do need the access to Learning Catalytics that comes with that version. If you bought it bundled with a new book or as a stand-alone card from the bookstore you're fine. If you purchased it with a credit card online and mistakenly bought the lesser version, here's how you can upgrade.
- Your first homework assignment is due by midnight on Thursday, 9/14.
- Practice problems from textbook (Note that these problems from your textbook are recommended for practice in addition to your homework. Answers can be found in the back of the book.):
- Chapter 1: #1.15, 19, 27, 31, 35, 39, 41, 53, 57, 69, 83
- Chapter 2: #2.8, 13, 19, 23, 29, 35, 43, 49, 53, 55, 57, 65, 69, 79, 88, 96, 110
- Section A: Chapter 2 overheads / molview.org
- Section B: Monday overheads; Wednesday overheads, Friday overheads
- Cool upcoming seminar on carbon dioxide capture as a strategy to mitigate elevated atmospheric levels - September 26!
Week 1: 9/6 - 9/8
- Welcome to General Chemistry!
- Textbook reading assignment: Chapter 1 (all sections)
- Reminder: No laboratory this week! Lab starts next week. Please see the laboratory page for more information.
- Homework in CH141 will be administered via the online system, MasteringChemistry. You'll need an access code (either bundled with your textbook, purchased separately at the bookstore, or purchased online). Everything else you need to know can be found in this document. Make sure to get set up with MasteringChemistry ASAP as your first assignment
will be due next week is due Thursday, 9/14, by 11:59 PM.
- Section A: Chapter 1 overheads
- Section B: Chapter 1 overheads