For my audio task, I decided to simulate a cow's "moo" as well as the ringing sound from clinking glasses. I built two instruments in CSound but also used the three from the first example on the site. Afterwards, I brought the wav files of the two sounds into Garageband and played them at certain intervals at parts of the song I made.
Code for the first instrument I made:
This was made with the rumbling noise of a "moo" in mind. It had 3 buzzes and 3 oscillators with 10 harmonics. I adjusted the portions each component took up in the final sound, as well as played around the number of harmonics, and inote levels until I was satisfied.
Code for the second instrument:
This was made with the highest part of the moo in mind, which sounds more like a buzzing noise than anything. I added an oscil and kept the harmonics low, adjusting everything until I was pleased with the sound.
Instrument 1 was the most plain sound, and was closest to a beep. Instrument 2 was closest to a buzzer. Instrument 3 was somewhere in between, and instrument 4 was a softer, slower version of sound 3.
The score code for the moo sound is below:
I made the moo sound start off quiet and rumbling, then become more buzzy and loud toward the end, also slightly fading out. The sounds stack on top of each other and play for different intervals based on what I imagined would result in the best sound for what instruments I had.
MP3: Moo sound
This is the score code for the clink sound:
The sounds all have high frequencies, and I made the lower sounds quieter than others, although the last sound is very high and is used as another layer of noise over the highest ringing sound. This score used mostly instruments 1 and 3, but I found that adding more instruments made the sound better somehow. The score starts off somewhat low and ends very high.
Next, in Garageband, I made a song with a loud synth as the main sound, and others all supporting it. It starts off with a guitar sound, then eases into the synth with a sound effect. Gradually, drums, backup synth, guitar, and bass are added. The clings play every 8 beats until the transposition happens, after which they play every 4 beats, then stop as the moos play twice then one last time during the fading out of the song. Another sound effect leads into the transposition, and the drumming gets louder and faster at this point. A soft disco piano sound fades the music out.
Here is my workspace (note: "clang" refers to the "clink" sound):
After seeing many people add color to black and white pictures for their visual tasks, I decided I would color something too. Coloring manga pages is a hobby of mine, so I decided to color something from "Baby Steps", a series a person in my group likes. I did all of my work in Photoshop. My ultimate goal was to make the picture look more realistic and lifelike.
Colorizing the picture was a long process involving many different Photoshop techniques, so I will just talk about the key processes.
Before doing anything, I first copied the image, converted it to grayscale, then used the channels tab to select and delete all white in the picture, which saves a lot of time later. Then I converted the image back to RGB, pasted in the original image below the modified one, and renamed the top one "outlines" and the bottom one "original."
After this, the first step was to isolate Ogata (the boy) from the rest of the picture. I used the eraser tool for this process, erasing until it looked clean. I got rid of lines used to denote shading, as well, because I decided I would go back later and use a darker color to show this. Note that I had a bright green layer underneath so any missed spots would stand out, shown below:
The pants would need to be filled in with blue, so I had to manually erase it. I guessed where the creases in the pants would be based on where the shadows fell. Pictured below is the pen tool being used to redraw a line I was not pleased with.
I used the burn tool to make outlines darker in some spots, too, such as on the arm that I had to redraw because I didn't want the rush strokes there (pictured below). The clone stamp tool also came in handy for closing up the arm in any spots that would be tricky to use the brush for.
I tried to stay away from the brush until I got to the coloring, which came next after these outlines were done. The outlines, ready to be colored, are pictured below:
To color, I used an organized system of folders of folders of layers, separated by part, color, etc.
To color, I selected the part I wanted to fill in the outlines layer, then went to the new layer for that part and started coloring.
To add in shading, I had to check the original for where the shadows were, and I drew on the new layers with slightly darker colors than the base color of the object, adjusting until I was pleased with the colors. Note that I didn't shade the hair because it is pitch-black, so I only emphasized that by drawing in a slight reflection. Also, I used the blur tool to smooth the shadows
As a finishing touch, for added depth, I also used the burn and dodge tool on parts near the bottom and top of things, respectively, making an educated guess about where the lights and shadows would fall. This is the finished thing without a background.
I decided it would look nice with a new background, so I found a picture of a Colby tennis court, put it through the posterize filter, and set it underneath everything.