This page is designed as a place for Colby first-year faculty to share information with each other. Feel free to edit this wiki site to add additional information, observations, links, documents, etc. Feel free to introduce additional categories as well. The goal is to provide an information clearinghouse that will be helpful.
Important Information Sources:
- Dean of Faculty website: www.colby.edu/dof
- Includes Schedule of Faculty Noontime Lunches, course review information, faculty meeting minutes and schedule, various reports, information about grants, college calendar and critical dates, travel grant application form, faculty handbook, committee information, and much more
- My Colby: my.colby.edu (Alternately, you can click on the My Colby link on the Colby web page.)
- Includes your Course Schedule (along with rosters-which is where you can file an Academic Warning and/or a notice of Academic Negligence), your list of advisees (when you get them next year), course descriptions, important dates/deadlines, forms for honors/independent study/internships, event planning information (including a building availability search)
Living in Waterville--and surrounding areas:
- Car registration: Cars can be registered at the local town office. Note: There is an annual excise tax (non-trivial) that must be paid. Vehicle inspections are annual.
- Driver's license: Needs to be done at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in Augusta
- Voter registration: Can be done when getting a driver's license
- Note on car registration: I'm a 1 year sabbatical replacement and after talking to the BMV in Augusta and my insurance company (GEICO) have been told that I don't need to switch registration or my license over and can absentee ballot my vote in my state of origin.
- Tire Warehouse: They were very helpful on very short notice.
- KMD Auto Service: Recommended to me by a couple different people.
- La Croix Auto: recommended by a few people, they seem very honest and nice
Fun things to do:
- Athletic facilities (fitness center, swimming pool, ice rink, tennis courts, playing fields, cross country trails, running track, squash courts, gym)
- Strength and conditioning
- Aerobics and fitness classes
- Athletic events
- It is possible to get a locker in a faculty/staff locker room. Chappy Nelson is the equipment manager in the Alfond Center (room 30), and he can make the arrangements.
- Arts calendar (Music, Theater, Dance, Visual Art)
- Events calendar (speakers, etc.)
- Colby Outing Club (faculty may join; free rental of equipment)
- Hiking/Running/Skiing trails
In town--or within 1/2 hour:
Within a couple hours:
To help you on your way, we've inserted some of our favourite macros on this home page. As you start creating pages, adding news items and commenting you'll see the macros below fill up with all the activity in your space.