The Natural Science Computing at Colby College focuses on Research and Curriculum Computing:
Research Computing provides advanced computing services to students, staff and faculty that include:
- large-scale computing resources
- storage of research data
- high-speed data transfer capabilities
- support for data sharing.
- Additionally, consulting services are provided in the following areas:
- computational sciences,
- data management plan
- support for grant proposals by partnering or providing letters of support
- when our local computational resources become insufficient for a research project, we work with researchers to solicit computational resources through partner institutions and the national grid computing.
This is an emerging layer of the process of teaching and learning. It is the totality of student and instructor experiences that occur in the process of using computation in the educational process. We provide services to students, staff and faculty that include:
- desktop (commodity) computing
- storage and transfer pathways for instructional data.
- set up and maintain the following:
- computer interfaces of instruments
- computers in teaching laboratories (configure, install and update applications)
- license servers for teaching and learning
- consulting services on software and application compatibility with operating system environment
- curriculum computing best practices and workshops on demand. Other related spaces include:The Mudd Lab, Schupf lab, Bruce Maxwell's Robotics Lab
We also maintain a ten node HPC cluster for use by researchers within the Natural Sciences (nscc ). For access to these servers please contact Randall Downer. The nscc is built along the lines of Purdue Universities Community Compute Cluster .
Most computers that I support are based on a variant of the Unix Operating systerm, (eg Mac OSX, Linux) Here are some helpful tips and tricks.
Poster printing is done at the LRC . You will need to contact Qiuli.Wang@colby.edu , and you can either email her the document or drop it off in smb://files.colby.edu/myfiles/Departments/POSTER-DROP, but remember to email her and tell her it is there!
Information for support of specific departments: