Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 5 Next »

For this game, I made a lot of art, but for Assignment 2, I will be talking about how I designed sprites, with the intention to animate them. Here is a sprite sheet for Melody's exploration mode walking:

Originally, I had intended for all characters to be able to walk on the screen out of battle, but after seeing how long it took for Melody, I decided to have just her.
The other animations I made were attacks for everyone and deaths for everyone:
AllAttack.mp4 (sound effect by Fatimah, distorted in Garageband by me)
MelodyDeath.mp4

All of my sprites were made in Photoshop. To be honest, making them was quite tedious, but seeing the end result is really satisfying. I will walk through how I made a Melody attack animation.

First, I thought up the animation and designed it with a blank doll kind of sprite, so I could add features of each character on later. I used the pencil tool and made sure that no lines were wider than one pixel across. The following picture is a series of sprites representing a stationary bouncing animation (first two frames) and an arm moving to push a key on the laptop (last four frames).

When designing the sprites, I would sometimes have to experiment with the lines, deciding, for example, between including an extra pixel here or there. Looking at the picture below, you can see what I mean; the laptop's...top... line has two black pixels in a row vertically. Meanwhile, the line on the hand farthest up is not directly neighboring any other line.

Another thing I had to be careful of was keeping the sprites similarly sized and consistent in style, which is why I copied and pasted each previous frame on top of the next and reduced the opacity so I had a guide to draw on top of. In the picture below, for example, I saw where the positions of everything were and used that as a guide for where to draw the body to make it look like it was moving downward. I tried to keep the hands in line and bend the arms, and make the body shift down and therefore bend the legs.

For the next assignment, I made a short song with no intentions in particular. The other day, I suddenly got a random tune in my head and thought it was worth remembering, so when I made this, it was the result of coming back to a recording of me humming it. Halfway through, I thought it sounded like victory music, so I changed the instruments from pianos to trumpets and such. It was made entirely in Garageband.

short song

Labels
  • No labels