Feel free to edit this wiki site to add additional information, observations, links, documents, etc. Feel free to introduce additional categories as well. The goal is to provide an information clearinghouse that will be helpful.
Important Information Sources:
- Dean of Faculty website: www.colby.edu/dof
- Includes Schedule of Faculty Noontime Lunches, course review information, faculty meeting minutes and schedule, various reports, information about grants, college calendar and critical dates, travel grant application form, faculty handbook, committee information, and much more
- My Colby: my.colby.edu (Alternately, you can click on the My Colby link on the Colby web page.)
- Includes your Course Schedule (along with rosters-which is where you can file an Academic Warning and/or a notice of Academic Negligence), your list of advisees (when you get them next year), course descriptions, important dates/deadlines, forms for honors/independent study/internships, event planning information (including a building availability search)
Living in Waterville--and surrounding areas:
- Car registration: Cars can be registered at the local town office. Note: There is an annual excise tax (non-trivial) that must be paid. Vehicle inspections are annual.
- Driver's license: Needs to be done at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in Augusta
- Voter registration: Can be done when getting a driver's license
- Tire Warehouse: They were very helpful on very short notice.
- KMD Auto Service: Recommended to me by a couple different people.
Fun things to do:
- Athletic facilities (fitness center, swimming pool, ice rink, tennis courts, playing fields, cross country trails, running track, squash courts, gym)
- Strength and conditioning
- Aerobics and fitness classes
- Athletic events
- It is possible to get a locker in a faculty/staff locker room. Chappy Nelson is the equipment manager in the Alfond Center (room 30), and he can make the arrangements.
- Arts calendar (Music, Theater, Dance, Visual Art)
- Events calendar (speakers, etc.)
- Colby Outing Club (faculty may join; free rental of equipment)
- Hiking/Running/Skiing trails
In town--or within 1/2 hour:
- Downtown Waterville
- Kennebec-Messalonskee Trails
- Quarry Road Recreational Area
- Colby-Hume Center
- Colby Outing Club cabin
- Belgrade Lakes
Within a couple hours:
- List of day trips--compiled by the Office of Special Events
- Acadia National Park (amazing national park on the coast, next to Bar Harbor)
- Maine State Parks (There are many; I've highlighted a few that I've tried out.)
- Camden (lots of shops, great chowder at Cappy's Chowder House)
- Boothbay Harbor (nice village with shops)
- Freeport (LL Bean and outlet shopping)
- Belfast (closest coastal town)
- Farmington (toward the mountains--home of Chester Greenwood Day--the December celebration in honor of the inventor of earmuffs)
- Greenville (on Moosehead Lake--home of the Stress Free Moose Pub & Cafe, the Black Frog, and Flatlanders)
- Rockland (coastal town with shops--home of the Maine Lobster Festival in August)
- Beaches--yes, there are sandy beaches in Maine!
To help you on your way, we've inserted some of our favourite macros on this home page. As you start creating pages, adding news items and commenting you'll see the macros below fill up with all the activity in your space.