Sarah Frisk
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

For the first week, I experimented with tutorials and working with code in TGB, making a simple game where you were a fish and had to avoid mines while getting bubbles. I then decided to make that more complicated by having fish swimming in the background, although it did make the whole thing more busy. However, it was a fun exercise in seeing how I could control movement with code.


The basic view window from TGB of the game


The game being played. You can see the fishies in the background.

Having some sort of vague dream of being able to make a 2d rpg game (something a friend and I might be attempting to make for the iphone, although we don't think we'll be using TGB for it, since iTorque for TGB is $500 plus the $100 indie license for regular old TGB). I had used the animations I found that came with TGB, but I wanted to figure out how to make my own. Remembering fondly Final Fantasy VI (FF III in the US), I found a bunch of sprites for the game online.

Unfortunately, this image proved to be too tall for TGB to handle itself, and crashed the program. I decided to focus then on one of my favorite characters, and cropped the image to have just the Theif. However, when attempting to make it into animation frames, I discovered that whoever made the sheet didn't actually make sure stuff was aligned in a way that TGB liked, so it was impossible to actually create frames that didn't crop out part of the theif.

So I went back to photoshop, and began the painstaking process that would later become my least favorite thing in the world, to align all the images just right so that they would create a smooth animation.

After I was able to create it, the next step was to bring it into TGB and animate it. Ignoring the animations with emotions and whatnot, I created four simple animations of the character walking forwards, backwards, left, and right.

It was at this point that I began working with actual code, creating behaviors that could control the sprite's movement around the screen.


Code!!!


TGB!!!

Unfortunately, I never got to the point of changing the animation as the character changed direction, since at this point I began work on my project for class, 'Many Icebergs Lots of Fun'

Many Icebergs Lots of Fun

I had a lot of fun with this project. After some initial discussions, it was decided that I would be in charge of graphics. Deciding we wanted a lighthearted fun game with cartoon-like graphics, I got to work. Having never actually drawn a penguin before, I ended up looking through the internets for pictures of penguins. Here is one of my initial sketches that became the basis of the entire project:
 There were several other sketches made.  On a Thursday afternoon, after class, I began playing with the penguins I drew in photoshop, playing with ideas.  Here is the basic image based on the above rough sketch:
 

 
 
Here is another concept sketch, made in a fit of sillyness.

However, I liked the basic design of my earlier penguin, so that would be the penguin that I would base the rest of my penguins off of.

The rest of the images I created for the project cane be found here.

Due to time constraints, not all of them were used for the final project.  The animated .gif file of the penguin with the (unfortunately) moving glasses was a test I did on my computer of an idea that was dicussed of all the penguins on the final iceberg walking towards the main penguin, all happy that he had arrived.  There are obvious bugs, the glasses moving and the slight jerking of the penguin, but overall the animation basically worked.  A basic image map of a regular old penguin walking can be found here.

There are several iceberg pictures that appear on my list of images, originally created with the idea that we would randomly generate icebergs from five different icebergs.   When the icebergs sunk, there was a discussion of particle system vs. and actual animation.  As can be seen in the game, the animation one, but I did create 2-3 tiny icebergs that were available in case a particle system was decided upon.

I personally like this picture, since it showed off all the little penguins I created (there were a lot more, all sitting on my computer.  Maybe I can create my own penguin icon army).

If I had time, I would have liked to have seen if I could have created a way to customize the "penguin fly' animation, so that the player could dress up their penguin with various props, such as seen in final iceberg picture.  Probably would have been a bit like a 'paper doll' aspect to the game, but I think it would have been a fun sort of silly.  However I did learn a whole lot about drawing, lineart, and animation that I didn't know before taking this class, learning how to incorporate custom images into a game engine like TGB, something that I think I'll find very useful in future projects.

Labels
  • No labels