This page is designed as a place for Colby first-year faculty to share information with each other. Feel free to edit this wiki site to add additional information, observations, links, documents, etc. Feel free to introduce additional categories as well. The goal is to provide an information clearinghouse that will be helpful.
Important Information Sources:
- Dean of Faculty website: www.colby.edu/dof
- Includes Schedule of Faculty Noontime Lunches, course review information, faculty meeting minutes and schedule, various reports, information about grants, college calendar and critical dates, travel grant application form, faculty handbook, committee information, and much more
- My Colby: my.colby.edu (Alternately, you can click on the My Colby link on the Colby web page.)
- Includes your Course Schedule (along with rosters-which is where you can file an Academic Warning and/or a notice of Academic Negligence), your list of advisees (when you get them next year), course descriptions, important dates/deadlines, forms for honors/independent study/internships, event planning information (including a building availability search)
- Course Evaluation Form
Living in Waterville--and surrounding areas:
- Car registration: Cars can be registered at the local town office. Note: There is an annual excise tax (non-trivial) that must be paid. Vehicle inspections are annual.
- Driver's license: Needs to be done at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in Augusta
- Voter registration: Can be done when getting a driver's license
- Note on car registration: I'm a 1 year sabbatical replacement and after talking to the BMV in Augusta and my insurance company (GEICO) have been told that I don't need to switch registration or my license over and can absentee ballot my vote in my state of origin.
- There is a nice list of employee discounts on the Human Resources website: http://www.colby.edu/administration_cs/humanresources/benefits/discounts.cfm
- You can also get a Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce Advantage Card at the Human Resources office. It has an extensive list of additional discounts; see http://www.midmainechamber.com/chamber/about/AdvantageCards.htm
- Some additional discounts that are not (yet?) on the list:
- Best Western Plus--Waterville: $69/night: Talk to Darlene at Best Western to ask for the Colby rate. (Good option for out-of-town guests)
- Embassy Suites--Portland: $105/night, includes an evening reception (Note: The summer rate is $179.)
- Hilton Garden Inn--Portland (if booked through Hewins Travel AAA): $110/night
- Supercuts (in Waterville): $2 discount with Colby ID
- Ice Cream: Giffords Ice Cream (170 Silver Street) is really good; Gelato Fiasco (on Maine Street in Brunswick) is worth the trip.
- Dr. Lovitz (Waterville Family Practice)--"excellent"
- Dr. James Douglas (Inland Family Care)--"also excellent"
- Dr. Karen Bossie (Waterville Women's Care)--"exceptional OB/GYN"
- Dr. William George (Waterville Women's Care)--"also excellent"
- Dr. Melissa Taylor (Waterville Pediatrics)
- Dr. John Salvato--pediatrician
- Dr. Michaela Clark-Kelley (Three Rivers Family Practice, 180 KMD)--"only been a patient one year, but she's very good"
- Tire Warehouse: They were very helpful on very short notice.
- KMD Auto Service: Recommended to me by a couple different people. I've gone twice; Randy is not talkative, but he seemed to know what he was doing. The first time was pricier than I expected; the second time seemed more reasonable.
- La Croix Auto: recommended by a few people, they seem very honest and nice
- Child care (See New to the Area below.)
There is some additional information at New to the Area? (This is a page on the Human Resources site.)
Fun things to do:
- Athletic facilities (fitness center, swimming pool, ice rink, tennis courts, playing fields, cross country trails, running track, squash courts, gym)
- Strength and conditioning
- Aerobics and fitness classes
- Athletic events
- It is possible to get a locker in a faculty/staff locker room. Chappy Nelson is the equipment manager in the Alfond Center (room 30), and he can make the arrangements.
- Arts calendar (Music, Theater, Dance, Visual Art)
- Events calendar (speakers, etc.)
- Colby Outing Club (faculty may join; free rental of equipment)
- Hiking/Running/Skiing trails
In town--or within 1/2 hour:
- Downtown Waterville
- Kennebec-Messalonskee Trails
- Quarry Road Recreational Area
- Colby-Hume Center
- Colby Outing Club cabin
- Belgrade Lakes
- Pleasant Point--includes a rope swing into the lake
Within a couple hours:
- List of day trips--compiled by the Office of Special Events
- Acadia National Park (amazing national park on the coast, next to Bar Harbor)
- Maine State Parks (There are many; I've highlighted a few that I've tried out.)
- Camden Hills State Park (mountain views of the ocean; nice hikes)
- Lily Bay State Park (on Moosehead Lake, lake beach)
- Moose Point State Park (small park with trails along water, nice playground for kids)
- Popham Beach State Park (soft sand, ocean beach, family friendly, especially good at low tide)
- Rangeley Lake State Park (large lake, campground, a few shops and restaurants in town)
- Reid State Park (two ocean beaches, sand, rocks, lagoon, wave riding, better at low tide)
- Step Falls Preserve--natural waterslide
- Small Falls Rest Area--cliffdiving into a deep pool for the adventuresome
- Two Lights State Park (Cape Elizabeth-just south of Portland)-closest place to see waves crashing on rocks
- Camden (lots of shops, great chowder at Cappy's Chowder House)
- Boothbay Harbor (nice village with shops)
- Freeport (LL Bean and outlet shopping)
- Belfast (closest coastal town)
- Farmington (toward the mountains--home of Chester Greenwood Day--the December celebration in honor of the inventor of earmuffs)
- Greenville (on Moosehead Lake--home of the Stress Free Moose Pub & Cafe, the Black Frog, and Flatlanders)
- Rockland (coastal town with shops--home of the Maine Lobster Festival in August)
- Beaches--yes, there are sandy beaches in Maine!
To help you on your way, we've inserted some of our favourite macros on this home page. As you start creating pages, adding news items and commenting you'll see the macros below fill up with all the activity in your space.