CH142 Learning Goals
- For students to deepen their appreciation for the relevance of chemistry, not just as it pertains to scientists, but also as a facet of liberal learning.
- For students to gain a broad understanding of chemistry that leaves them prepared for organic chemistry and beyond.
- To strengthen communication skills using the nomenclature used by chemists.
- To learn the basic principles of mass balance and chemical equilibria.
- To understand the fundamental kinetics and thermodynamics that govern chemical reactions.
- For students to sharpen their quantitative skills in a scientific context.
- For students to improve skills in solving problems that involve the integration and synthesis of new knowledge and to master the interface between narrative and mathematical problem solving.
Approximate Lecture Schedule
Reaction Mechanisms and Catalysis
Chemical Equilibria and Le Chatleier's Principle
Weak Acids and Bases
Lewis Acid & Bases and Molecular Structure
Solubility Equilibria & Coordination Chemistry
|Spontaneity and Gibbs Free Energy|
Oxidation-reduction chemistry / Electrochemistry
Electrochemical Cells & Nuclear Chemistry
Search CH142 Wiki