Project 8 - Marshall
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

In  this lab, we were using multi rule lsystems to make scenes.  We also wrote our own lsystems and put them into scenes using different numbers of iterations.

The first thing I had to do was create a _str_ method in the lsystem class which would take the base and the rules and format them into strings that we are used to seeing with "base ->" followed by the base string and "rules ->" followed by the rules.  To do this, I used the getBase() method to return the base which I preceded with a string "base ->" and followed it with a "\n" to go to the next line.  Next, I looped over all the rules.  I added the rules to the string so that it would say "rule" followed by the first element, then an "->" then the rule itself followed by a "\n" to go onto the next line.  Next,  to complete the task, I first had to edit my interpreter and lsystem files.  In the interpreter, I added elif statements to account for new characters such as <, >, g, y, r, and L.  After testing to make sure my new additions to the interpreter were working correctly, I went on to make my first scene.  To do this, I used the main() method from my interpreter file.  I first set the turtle to be facing up, then drew three different trees based on lsystems in three different places.  When finished, this file looked like this:
After making that scene, I went on to the next task which was to make a forest out of different lsystem trees.  To do this, I used a loop and the random package.  I created a for loop that each time through the loop would move the turtle to a random location using the random.randint() function.  After moving, it built a tree at that location with a random distance to make the trees different random sizes.  After that was finished, that forrest looked like this:

For my task3.py file, I made some changes to specific lsystems that were in ABOP.  The original lsystems that I used were systemFL and systemDL.  I changed them to be:
base X
rule X F-[[X[F+]]+X]+F[+F][+FX]-X<gL>
rule F FF

and

base P
rule P I+[P+O]-[<gL>]I+[<gL>][PO]+PO
rule I FS[+<gL>][+F][-<gL>]FS
rule S SFS
rule O <y[++F][+F][F][F][-F]>

after making these lsystems, I used my lsystem class to make lsystems with 3, 5, and 7 iterations of each one.  After, I made a scene with these lsystems.  That scene looked like this:

For my extensions, in addition to adding an "L" case in my interpreter to make green leaves, I used math and loops in my second scene to make a forest out of a small amount of code.  Instead of making many different individual calls to interpreter.main(), I was able to loop over three calls fifteen times to place trees in many different random locations with random sizes as well.

Overall, I learned how much small changes in lsystems can make a big different in the resulting pictures.  I also learned how simple it is to add more and more conditions to the interpreter to make certain letters in an lsystem do specific things.  

   

Labels